Ask the question: "What to see in Budapest"? The rich history of the capital of Hungary was reflected in the exquisite architecture, which managed to be preserved to the present day. Tourists are attracted here by numerous basilicas, fortresses, museums, thermal springs, as well as national flavor and a peculiar Hungarian cuisine. For one trip it is impossible to see all the sights of Budapest, so it's worth to familiarize yourself with their description in advance and choose the most interesting ones.
So the list of the best tourist places in front of you:
The National Museum in Cardiff, which, incidentally, has a rich art gallery, is dedicated to the history of Wales. It is here that the National Welsh collection of applied and fine arts is kept. Also in the Cardiff Museum you can find many works of European artists, including such famous ones as Monet, Van Gogh, Renoir, and Cezanne. In addition to the art gallery, here you can find several exhibitions devoted to archeology, natural history, and geology. The museum has a magnificent collection of exhibitions devoted to natural history and sciences - beginning with the theory of the Big Bang, and ending with the modern Wales. On a regular basis, the museum hosts temporary exhibitions, dinner parties, and family events. Details on current offers can be found on the museum's website. Opening hours of the National Museum in Cardiff: from 10 am to 5 pm from Tuesday to Sunday.
Cathays Park is located in the heart of Cardiff, the capital of Wales. It is surrounded by the most important and historically valuable buildings of the city. So, from Cathays Park, you can reach the City Hall, the National Museum and the Gallery of Wales in minutes and some of the buildings that make up the campus of Cardiff University. Many tourist guidebooks call Cathays Park the pearl of Cardiff and the most beautiful urban park in the British Isles. In addition to the beautiful nature, the park has many examples of architecture of the late XIX-early XX century, monuments, sculptures. Park consists of three garden areas, which differ substantially in their appearance and filling. This is the Garden of Alexandra, the Garden of Gorsedd and the Garden of the Monastery. The garden of Alexandra was named after Alexandra of Denmark, the wife of King Edward VII. This is the most central part of the city park, there are many amazing flower beds, and in the center towers the famous Welsh National War Memorial. In the Gorsedd garden, named after the community of Welsh bards, there is a memorial stone circle, built in 1899 in honor of Eisteddfod - the Welsh national festival here. The garden of the monastery is built in honor of the Marquise Bute, the former owner of these lands, who kept them from building buildings. In this part of the park there are many garden sculptures and hedges.
Castell Coch in Welsh means "Red Castle", and the castle deserves admiration. About the first years of the castle, almost nothing is known. It is believed that this was a Norman castle of the XI-XII centuries. The building had an oval shape and three round towers. Soon after the construction, Coch was abandoned and almost destroyed. At the end of the 19th century, what remained of the castle belonged to the Marquis of Bute John Crichton-Stuart. He wanted to restore Castell Coch to make it a residence for himself and his family. The Marquis very much wanted the castle to look like a medieval one, for which all the interior interiors were made in the Victorian style, and the wooden facade was replaced with stone facades. Now the castle is open for free visits. Visitors can enjoy beautiful collections of paintings and antiques, visit the chambers of the marquis and his family, feeling the real spirit of the Middle Ages
Park Bute is the biggest park in Cardiff with a territory of more than 100 hectares in the former possessions of Cardiff Castle, the patrimonial nest of the Marquis of Bute. Park takes his beginning from 1873 by the efforts of the chief gardener of the Marquis, Andrew Pettigrew. Descendants of the Marquis gave the park the Council of Cardiff in 1947. Located on the two banks of the Tuff River, the park provides its visitors with an extensive recreation area, a rich arboretum and a large number of unusual sights. The ruins of the Blackfriars Monastery began to unearth another third Marquis of Bute, who was trying to restore him. Now works are underway to reconstruct this monument. The Bute arboretum was created in 1947, and its main feature is a large number of "champion" trees, the largest representatives of its kind in the UK. The Lit mill, a preserved structure on the shore of a mill lake, used to work at the castle walls. Soon it is planned to resume its work in order to decorate this corner of the park and immerse the visitors in the atmosphere of the past centuries. In the park, there are a lot of wooden sculptures made from old stumps, as well as metal sculptures and stone monuments.
This sports attraction Cardiff, built in 1999 exactly to the beginning of the third millennium, is famous for its huge size: the stadium is not enough to accommodate 80 thousand people, so it is also perfectly visible at a distance of 3000 km from the earth! There are very few such giant objects on the planet. The stadium is used not only for sports competitions - rugby, football, motorcycle sports, but also for concerts of world stars.
The historical museum of Sant Fagans is located in Cardiff, under the open sky. Here you can find the architecture, history and culture of Wales from the most ancient times to the present. This museum is one of the most famous sights of Wales. The museum was opened on November 1, 1948. It is located on the territory of the castle of Sant Fagans. And the castle of Sant Fagos is one of the most beautiful examples of the architecture of Elizabeth's time. The castle was built in 1580, but in the 19th century, the interior was redone. Here lived the family of Robert-Windsor and in 1946 they passed the castle with the surrounding gardens to the National Museum of Wales. At present, the interior of the 19th century is preserved there. In the gardens there are fish ponds, rosaries, a vineyard, fountains. Over the entire period of its existence, the museum has transported more than 40 types of buildings that represent different epochs of history. Tourists here can visit the mill, mail, visit the chapel, in apartment buildings, a pig house and other equally interesting buildings. Most of these exhibits work like real ones. Products can be purchased at souvenir shops, which are also here. The big attention of tourists is attracted by the rounded Celtic houses. When they were built, at first a bearing pillar was placed in the very center, walls were made of wattle, which was coated with clay. Since 1996, the museum hosts a summer theater festival, which includes children's holidays in English and Welsh.
The Llanduffsky Cathedral is the official residence of Bishop Llandaff, head of the Llandaff Diocese of the Welsh Church. The cathedral is named after St. Paul and Peter, as well as three Welsh saints, known only to local residents: Taylo, Dubrik and Odoseus. Llandaff Cathedral - one of the oldest buildings in Cardiff. It was built in the 12th century on the ruins of an old church, from which only the Celtic cross survives to this day - evidence that before the Norman times there were Christians on this territory. The history of the cathedral is well-known thanks to a variety of written sources. The construction was started in 1120, but finished only in 1290 - almost two centuries it took to complete the work. By that time, an arch belongs to the High Altar of the Llanduffsky Cathedral. In 1400 the church suffered greatly during the Owain Glindur revolt, but it was successfully restored. For several centuries the cathedral was in a deplorable state, almost turning into ruins from old age. At the beginning of the XIX century, it was carefully restored, having completed the South-Western tower and spire, thanks to which it has been well preserved to the present day. The reconstruction was completed in 1869. Llanduffsky Cathedral still had to survive the destruction during the Second World War. Once again, the building was restored, retaining many of the old features, but giving the cathedral interior a more spacious look, which it always lacked. Today the Llanduffsky Cathedral is one of the two cathedrals of Cardiff. The first - Cardiff, named after St. David - is in the center of the city. Despite its favorable location, it is not as popular with tourists as Llandaff, which was founded several centuries earlier and has a more impressive, gloomy and ancient look.
City Hall, the place where the Town Hall is located, is an imposing structure with a domed roof on which a frightening dragon sits. This is one of several administrative buildings that make up the famous "Civic Center" complex. The building of Portland limestone was built in 1905 by the architects of Lanchester, Stuart and Richards in the style of the French Renaissance. It has a large dome 60 meters high and a clock tower. For visitors a marble hall of the town hall is opened, decorated with columns of Sienese marble and statues of Welsh heroes.
The Mermaid Quay is part of the Cardiff Bay embankment, completely dedicated to shopping and entertainment facilities. This is an entire area of 14 000 square meters, filled with restaurants, trendy boutiques, shops and cafes. The embankment was opened in 1999. Initially, the district was conceived by local authorities as a project to restore the abandoned territory of the former docks and the world's largest port used for coal exports. The embankment is five minutes from the city center, there are many types of transport. The mermaid quay attracts tourists from all over the world, promising not only a measured rest, numerous spa centers and trendy hairdressers, but also incendiary parties, hotels overlooking the bay and expensive restaurants with a kitchen from every corner of the world. However, to eat fast and budget here is also not a problem.
The first thing that a person arriving on the coast sees is the Welsh Millennium Center, an original structure resembling a huge boulder of dark stone. This is the main theater and the Cardiff exhibition hall. The windows on its facade, made in the form of letters, add up in words. On the left side of the facade, there is an inscription in the Welsh language, on the right is written in English - lines from the poems of the Welsh poetess Gwyneth Lewis. In the evening, the letters are highlighted. The wings of the facade are lined with colorful strips of local stone.